A step-by-step guide for Canadian newspapers filing quarterly circulation data.
Access AAM’s Canadian quarterly filing tool
Below are the steps to locate and access the quarterly filing tool.
- To enter quarterly circulation data for your newspaper brand, visit AAM’s website at https://auditedmedia.com.
- Click on Log In at the right and select Publisher Filing Center from the drop-down menu. At this point you will be asked to enter your company’s login credentials for the Publisher Filing Center: member number, username, and password. Contact AAM if you need assistance.
- Once you have logged into the Publisher Filing Center, select Quarterly Filing Online from the right-hand menu.
Navigate the quarterly filing tool
Use the left-hand menu to navigate each of the sections in the quarterly filing tool. Let's look at the three main navigational areas in the quarterly filing tool:
- Quarterly Filing Questionnaire
- Enter Circulation Data
- Review and Submit
Before we delve into the instructions, here are some tips to help you navigate the filing tool:
|Recommended Browsers:||Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox|
||The ‘Save’ & ‘Save and Continue’ buttons are located at the top and bottom of the filling tool. Remember to save often to prevent the filing tool from timing out. You will receive a message that says ‘Successfully Saved’ when data has been saved.|
|Tab Key/Mouse:||Use the tab key or mouse to navigate to the next field instead of pressing the enter key.|
|Red X button:||Use to delete|
|Plus Sign button:||Drop-down menu to add information|
|Calendar Icon:||Drop-down calendar menu|
Update your publication information
Quarterly Filing Questionnaire Section
The Quarterly Filing Questionnaire section is the starting point for quarterly filing. This section is broken down by five main parts:
- Main Edition Pub Plan
- Affiliated Pub Plan
- Reconciliation of Days
The welcome page mentions a few tips to help you get started.
Step 1 (Survey): Select Survey from the Quarterly Filing Questionnaire section in the navigation menu. The data featured on the Survey home screen is prepopulated based on your newspaper's last quarterly submission to AAM. Please take a moment to review and update your company’s contact and reporting information.
- Reporting categories: Check the circulation categories that apply to your flagship newspaper. Your selections here determine the categories made available later in the Enter Circulation Data section. Note: Digital replica and digital nonreplica circulation totals will be reported separately in the circulation data section of your company’s quarterly data report.
- Advertising Director: Review and update the contact information for the advertising director at your media company. This individual should be someone who media buyers can contact to learn more about your newspaper.
Contact information: Provide the appropriate contact for your media company. This is the person who is responsible for entering your circulation data into AAM’s quarterly filing tool. AAM may contact this individual with inquiries about the data once it's been submitted.
Main newspaper publishing plan: Please provide information about the following aspects of your newspaper's publishing plan.
Frequency: The number of days a week your newspaper is published (i.e., published Monday-Sunday or published in print on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday and published online seven days a week)
Delivery vehicle: The distribution platforms that your newspaper uses to distribute content (i.e., print, online, apps)
Primary circulation classification: Use this field to identify your primary (majority) distribution type:
qualified circulation (i.e., opt-in requested, targeted)
Description: A nonpromotional description of your newspaper’s focus
Website(s): URL for your newspaper’s website
Step 2 (Main Edition Pub Plan): Move to the next section under Quarterly Filing Questionnaire—Main Edition Pub Plan.
- To add a new date, click the’+’' symbol
- To delete a date, click the red ‘x’ symbol.
- Use the calendar icon to select the applicable date.
- For each omitted day, please enter the total net circulation.
- Quarter date range: The default settings that prepopulate the calendar dates reflect AAM’s standard quarterly reporting period. If you plan to use a financial quarter (also known as a 4-4-5 schedule), please modify the dates. Do not skip or double count any dates from other quarters that have been previously submitted to AAM on behalf of your newspaper.
Publishing plan: The frequency of your publication is prepopulated based on your previous circulation data submissions to AAM. To change your publishing frequency, please contact AAM.
Nonpublishing: Indicate the days when your newspaper did not publish a print edition during the quarter (also known as "nonpublishing days")
Omitted Days: Indicate the days when your newspaper published a print edition but you would like to have excluded from AAM reporting (also known as "omitted days"). Refer to AAM Rule C102.5 Days Omitted from Averages for requirements.
Step 3 (Affiliated Pub Plan, OPTIONAL): If you would like to report affiliated publication(s), please contact Tim Leen at (224)366-6435 for the initial set up. Once you start reporting affiliated publications with AAM, you may use the Affiliated Pub Plan section to enter the quarter date range, nonpublishing and omitted days for your applicable affiliated publication(s).
NOTE: If you are not claiming any affiliated publications, skip to step 4.
Q: What is an affiliated publication?
A: Any print publication, newspaper or magazine owned and operated by an AAM member. This may include community or foreign language newspapers, market coverage products or magazines.
Q: May I add a new affiliated publication?
A: Yes, and we encourage you to do so. Prior to reporting an affiliated publication for the first time, contact AAM to go over the reporting and auditing details.
Q: What is the cost to add an affiliated publication?
A: The cost of adding affiliated publications varies by title. Contact us for a quote.
Step 4 (Reconciliation of Days): Information featured in this section will serve as the divisor when determining circulation averages later in the filing process. Be sure to confirm that the days entered for the quarter in the Pub Plan sections are complete and accurate for your flagship newspaper and affiliated publications. If the data you entered is correct, select Continue. If you would like to edit, select Back.
Enter your circulation data
This section is where you will enter your circulation distribution, applicable basic prices and explanatories. The three main components of this section are as follows:
- Circulation Reporting
- Basic Prices
Step 1 (Circulation Reporting): Select Circulation Reporting from the navigation menu.
- Enter NET circulation totals, not averages
- Single-copy returns should be deducted from gross single-copy distribution.
- The data entry fields in Circulation Reporting are predetermined by the circulation categories that you previously selected in the Survey section. If a data entry section is missing or appears in error, please return to the Survey section to revise your responses.
- Click Save often as you enter in circulation data.
- Frequency Column headings: Enter quarterly net circulation totals by reporting frequency. These frequencies are prepopulated based on previous circulation claims that were submitted to AAM on behalf of your newspaper. To change a publishing frequency, please contact AAM.
Category Row names: Enter quarterly net circulation totals for each applicable reporting category. Only rows containing values more than zero are captured by the filing tool during the data submission process.
Click the Show Totals button at the upper-right corner of the screen at any time to show subtotals of the data you’ve entered.
Step 2 (Basic Prices): Select Basic Prices from the navigation menu. This section is optional. If you choose to report this information, please report the price(s) reported that were in effect at the end of the reporting period. If you choose not to report the pricing information, check the box that states you will not be reporting basic prices and then click Save and Continue.
Note: If you opt to report basic prices, be sure to report prices associated with all paid circulation types (print, digital replica, nonreplica or hybrid bundles).
Data in this section is prepopulated based on the circulation claims that were previously submitted to AAM on behalf of your newspaper. Please review and edit as necessary. Use the helpful tips below to proceed.
- To add a row, click the ‘+’ symbol on the far-left side of the screen.
- To delete a row, click the red ‘x’ symbol on the far-left side of the screen.
- To edit data, click in that entry field and edit.
- Click Save to save the data you’ve entered in the tool and keep you on the current screen.
- Save and Continue saves the data you’ve entered in the tool and sends you to the next section of the filing application.
Step 3 (Explanatory): Select Explanatory from the navigation menu.
Add only the explanatories that apply to your newspaper. To add an explanatory to your quarterly data report, click on the Add Explanatory button in the Explanatory section. Choose from one of AAM’s potential explanatory disclosures in the menu that appears and then click Save. Note: The ‘Report Ending Date’ will be a mandatory explanatory for all publications. AAM will fill in the required information for this explanatory.
Review and submit your data
This section is where you will review your recently entered information to ensure that your circulation distribution claims, applicable basic prices and explanatories were uploaded properly into AAM’s filing tool prior to submission.
This area is made up of five components:
- View Alerts
- Upload Images
- Publisher Comments
- View Quarterly Data
- Final Step Submit
Step 1 (View Alerts): Select View Alerts from the navigation menu. Use this section to review the data you've just entered to check for any errors.
- If you experience issues with any information you’ve entered, visit the View Alerts section to see an itemized list of the errors. Please revise any errors prior to submitting your data to AAM.
- When you are satisfied with the data, please click the Continue button in the lower-right corner of the screen.
Step 2 (Upload images): Select Upload Images from the navigation menu. Newspapers may provide an updated logo or other images for submission to AAM. When uploading a logo use either a TIFF or JPEG format only.
Step 3 (Enter publisher comments): If you need to communicate any specific details or issues with your data to AAM staff, please do so in the Publisher Comments area.
Be sure to click Save before exiting this screen.
Step 4 (View Quarterly Data): Select View Quarterly Data from the navigation menu. Take a moment to review all data entries for accuracy before submission to AAM by clicking on the applicable tab. Note: The Calculated Average tab will show how the filing tool converted your net circulation totals into circulation averages.
Step 5 (Final Step Submit): Select Final Step Submit from the navigation menu.
- Enter the name and title of the person that will attest to the quarterly circulation claims reported being true and compliant with AAM bylaws and rules.
- Check the box next to Date Signed to authorize submission. NOTE: This section provides a digital signature. A hard copy signatory form (printed, signed and faxed to AAM) is not necessary.
- Enter the email address where you would like to receive confirmation of your newspaper's data submission.
- Enter any additional comments for AAM staff.
- When you're ready to submit your quarterly circulation data, select Submit Quarterly Data to AAM. An email confirmation will be sent to the email address you provided.
Quarterly data report prototype for Canadian newspapers
Click on the icon below to view a pdf of the Canadian newspaper quarterly data report.
Quick filing tips
Section: Questionnaire/Publication Information
Description/Action of Section
|Publication Information||Declare your print and digital circulation information, reporting periods, advertising director information and contact information.||The Publication Information must be completed prior to navigating to other sections within the filing tool.
Only the checked categories will display in the applicable filing tool sections
Your publisher’s and member representative’s contact information will be prepopulated in the tool based on the previous AAM filing.
|Reporting Periods/Nonpublishing Days/Omitted Days||Update your publication’s quarterly reporting periods for the Quarterly Data Report. Also in this section, you will need to update any applicable nonpublishing days and/or omitted days. For omitted day(s) you will need to also include the net average total circulation per applicable omitted day(s).||Use the calendar icons to change and/or modify any dates.
Use the navigational tools (i.e., red x key, + key etc.) to edit this section.
|Advertising Director/Publication Contact Information/Main Newspaper Publishing Plan||This section allows you to update the publication's advertising director and contact information as well as the publication’s main newspaper’s publishing plan.||This section has been prepopulated based on the previous AAM filing. If there are no changes, select Save & Continue.|
Section: Enter Circulation Data
Description/Action of Section
|Average Circulation||Enter your circulation claims. All circulation categories reported (print, digital in total, etc.) are contingent on the responses given in Publication Information.||Remember to enter net total circulation data NOT averages.
If a circulation category does not appear, go back to the Publication Information section and check the box for the appropriate circulation category and select Save & Continue.
If you need to make changes to your publication name or reporting day, please contact AAM.
|Basic Prices||This section is optional. Here, you may input your publication’s pricing information for prices effective at the end of the period. If you choose not to report the pricing information, check the “Check here if not reporting this optional paragraph” box.||If you report basic prices make sure you are reporting basics prices associated with all applicable paid circulation types (print, digital replica, nonreplica or hybrid bundles)|
|Explanatory||In this section, you may enter additional applicable explanatories by clicking on the Add Explanatory button.||Entering text: Do not use an apostrophe (‘) when entering text. This will be added by AAM.|
Section: Review and Submit
Description/Action of Section
|Publisher Comments||Share any comments/issues pertaining to AAM processing your data.||This Review and Submit section is intended to give you time to review your publication’s circulation claims, explanatory content, and ancillary pieces that you uploaded prior to submission to AAM and featured on your quarterly data report.|
|Upload Images||Here, you can upload your publication’s covers, images, signature form or any worksheets that were used to file your statement.||Logo Requires TIFF or JPEG format only|
|View Quarterly Data||Preview your quarterly data prior to submission.||If you need to make any changes, go back to the applicable sections to edit prior to submitting your data. Once you have submitted your data, you will not be able to go back into the filing tool to make any edits. You will need to contact AAM to make any additional changes after submitting your data.|
|Final Submission||Complete the Final Submission section with name, title, email address and any applicable comments prior to clicking on the Submit Data to AAM button. Note: In this section, you will be attesting that the circulation claims entered were true and compliant with AAM bylaws and rules.||Check the box below ‘Title’ to complete the electronic signature.
Click the Submit button to submit your quarterly data to AAM.
An email confirmation will be sent to your primary circulation contact upon submission.